Team Formation

It is difficult for a single individual to create a startup venture because there are some different tasks that need to be completed. In addition, there is great value in collaborating with others during the creative and problem solving phases of the venture.

This activity is designed to create teams of three members. I have selected the leaders for each team based on the BOSI survey and interviews. Moreover, these students have agreed to be team leaders and know the risks and responsibilities of being a leader.

To complete this activity, follow the steps below.

Step 1

Leaders need to move to your assigned area.

Builders

1. Krikorian, Mark
2. Lockhart, Olivia L.
3. Cassidy, Brendan J.
4. Razo, Juan P
5. Sengpraseuth, Tabitha L.
6. Mann, Lauren N.
7. Johnson, Luke P.
8. Kalombo, Grace N.

Group 1
Antunez, Arleth
Baccarini, Zoe I.
Bachara, Jenna K.

Group 2
Bacheller, Alec E.
Boyle, Matthew
Butler, John M.

Group 3
De Guzman, Georgina M.
Elliott, Faith L.
Gallegos, Michelle

Group 4
Graham, Nicholas W.
Kennedy, Cullen M.
Kluckhohn, Nathaniel J.

Group 5
Mahdavidoraji, Rosa
Molle, Craig
Nacar, Lance Jefferson B.

Group 6
Owen, Riley M.
Rojas Perez, Jennifer
Sampson, Gunnar W.

Group 7
Sartore, Kara L.
Sliwa, Connor M.
Giordano, Luke

Group 8
Van Bortel, Jacob B.
Weisheit, George A.

Step 2

Opportunists, Specialists, and Innovators are to move through each of the stations. Your goal is to get hired and negotiate your employment agree with the team leader. Your employment agree should include a salary based on a hourly wage rate as well as an equity share of the startup. On average hourly salary is probably around 20 dollars per hour while an equity interest in the business might be 15 to 20%. Its up to negotiate the best deal for yourself. You need to be interviewed by all team leaders.

In the interview, the leader needs to determine who they can work best with and what each person brings to the startup. The interviewee need to tell what they can do for the startup (use BOSI survey to help you talk in the interview) and why they should be hired.

Remember that the goal of this activity is to form a team of individuals with diverse skills. We will determine how diverse a team is by the balance of skills.

Step 3

After all interviews have been completed, teams can be formed by team leaders making agreements with their new teammates.

Step 4

Complete the team form which states the team members and their employment agreement (wage rate and equity interest).

Step 5

Compose a team profile. I suggest that you create a google doc and work together to compose your team profile. The profile should follow the structure below.
Our Team is the heading
A statement about the team members. This statement should provide information about the person’s role on the team. For example, John is the team leader. John will be responsible for ….

Tim is our specialist. He will be responsible for …

Besides providing a statement about each members responsibility, tell about the interests of each member.

This collective writing task should be posted on each members blog.

Assessment Outcomes

I can apply the concept of wage rate and equity to negotiate an employment agreement.
I can communicate my strengths as a potential employee using BOSI survey terms.
I can follow a multi-step process to participate in classroom activities.
I can ask questions to get information as well as to request clarification during an interview.
I can compose a written text to describe my team.
I can monitor my actions during class activities to ensure a productive learning environment.

Team Value $10,000 dollars (all members must have a different DNA). If not one member needs to go through training. Otherwise, a $1000 dollar deduction.

Personal Value $200 for posting to your blog.